Monday, March 10, 2014

Back to Basics, Lesson 1 (The Bonus Video)

Herons, graphite on Strathmore Skills Series drawing paper

I promised everyone who signed up for the Strathmore Artist Paper company's Back to Basics workshop some free bonus materials. So -- for the next four weeks -- I will post video links, tips, and other instructional materials that I hope participants will find both informative and useful. (And if you are interested in participating but haven't signed up yet, no worries! Just head over to the Strathmore Online Workshops website, create a FREE account, click on "Workshop 1", scroll down and click on "Join Group". Once you've joined the group be sure to print out the Lesson 1 Instruction Sheet -- which will provide both a list of recommended supplies and supplemental illustrations & information -- and let the fun begin!)

Today's bonus material consists of a two-part Hi-Def video offering a second step-by-step demonstration of the materials and techniques of Lesson 1 (Line and Shape). This is intended as a purely visual experience and is accompanied only by a music soundtrack. If you are new to the material covered, I highly recommend that you watch the lesson video first and then watch the bonus videos as supplemental demonstrations.


Heron - Line & Shape, Part 1

I encourage you to pause the videos and rerun any passages of particular interest. Re-watch the videos as many times as you need to fully absorb the information covered. And feel free to ask any questions you may have concerning the lesson material or best studio practices (regardless of whether your "studio" is indoors or out) on the Strathmore Forum or the Comments section below.


Heron - Line & Shape, Part 2

And please, please remember: no question is "dumb" if it helps YOU to learn what you want to learn. (And chatting with you, and answering your questions is what I live for.) SO, let the adventure begin!
_______________________________________________________________________________

PS, I'll also be posting new "Sneak Peeks" regarding upcoming projects and learning opportunities, articles on travel- and nature-journaling, and my "Tools of the Trade" (covering media and studio tool topics) & "Tricks of the Trade" (which cover time-saving suggestions and demos) series-- with maybe an adventure or two thrown in for good measure. 

So, if you're not already a subscriber and don't want to miss a single article, please feel free to subscribe. (There are three options in the right sidebar: "Follow by Email"; "Follow" for Google account holders; or "Subscribe to Drawn to Life" for RSS users.)

Cheers!  


13 comments:

  1. Earnest ,these are great! I knew they would be wonderful and you a super teacher!
    Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I hope that you're enjoying the class.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the lesson and the bonus video! I started a month ago with drawing (at the age of 67... never too old to learn something new), so your Strathmore workshop is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You changed your pencils several times in the bonus videos... were these pencils all HB?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Willy. Glad you're enjoying the workshop. (And I think you're going to enjoy what's coming up.) With regards to the pencils I used, they were a mix of HDs (the hex-shaped ones) and Ebony (the round ones) and I change them frequently to keep a sharp point.

      Delete
  3. Earnest,enjoying the class the bonus videos. Could you give some advice on which pencils you start with (the "gesture") -- hard or soft -- and what number would you typically start with -- and which you switch to for going over the lines and drawing in details -- again # and hardness and softness.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, I'm glad you're enjoying the workshop thus far. For more on pencils I can point you to my response to Willy's question (just above yours.) ;-)

      Delete
  4. That was very relaxing to watch and you've convinced me to go outside before work tomorrow to sketch. We're supposed to have lovely weather here in Ohio. I see you sharpen your pencils with a knife. I need to learn to do that.
    Will you be teaching as part of Danny Gregory's Sketchbook Skool? I just signed up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene. I generally hand-sharpen pencils: because I can get them sharper than a mechanical sharpener; and hand-sharpening can be very zen-like (allowing me time to shed the stressful chaos that is a frequent part of our daily life, and to more readily focus on my subject when I finally sit down to draw. Watch for a short blog post on the zen of pencil sharpening a little later in the workshop.

      I really enjoyed working with Danny on "An Illustrated Journey" and would quite enjoy working with him again at some point in the future. But I have several projects already in the works that demand all of my attention for the immediate future. (Watch for postings on my blog as details become available.)

      Delete
    2. I think Danny is planning on keeping this Sketchbook Skool bit going every six weeks. Was hoping you'd be there, but I will stay posted to watch for your other projects. I've noticed you've taken a lot on (new adventures in teaching, etc.) and I I'm not surprised...I'm happy your creative work is expanding...you have such talent.
      OOH, I love zen practice and I can see where the prep of supplies such as sharpening the pencil by hand sets the stage for calm entry to the drawing pad. Good point. I'm going to try it...besides I've heard the pencils last longer.

      Delete
  5. I am enjoying the class and thankful for this bonus video....my favorite bird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha! I was happy to see that this was a statue of herons, as I was wondering how you managed to keep checking the measurements on birds that would have flown away as soon as you sat down. LOL! Super drawing, and I also thank you for the bonus video. They are one of my favorite birds also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, that was completely amazing! Loved watching you draw and can't believe that an eraser never needed to be used or ever appeared in your hand. I am really enjoying your teaching style, the class, and all the bonuses. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete